Product added to cart
The First Ever Fjällräven Classic UK
Fjällräven have built their reputation over the past 60 years to become one of the most respected Outdoor brands on the market and are a firm favourite of the team here at Nordic Outdoor. Aside from their quality clothing and iconic G-1000 fabric one of the reasons we love the Swedish brand are due to some of the external work they do with regards to encouraging more people to enjoy the outdoors and to treat the world in a more sustainable manner. Whether it be the Arctic Fox Initiative or the Fjällräven Polar the brand are at the forefront at innovative ideas to encourage people to get out more. One of the most iconic events that the brand organises is the Fjällräven classic which currently is run across eight countries and offers spectacular trekking for everyone.
The History of the Fjällräven Classic
The Fjällräven classic has a very simple goal; To encourage and enable more people getting out and enjoying nature through trekking. It can be a difficult task for working people to fit the time needed to learn the basics of trekking, hiking and wild camping. The Fjällräven Classic makes all of this much easier by organising incredible expeditions and making them accessible to the wider population.
The Idea for the Fjällräven classic came directly from the company founder Ake Nordin at the turn of the Century. Growing up he had always been inspired by the dramatic landscapes and breath-taking scenery of his native Sweden and was a huge spokesperson for the benefits of getting out for a few days on the trail. However, it was clear that not everyone could find the time to get a trek route and kit lists planned and organised easily.
The solution for Ake Nordin was simple and the Fjällräven Classic was born. Naturally the first event took place in Sweden in 2005 on the Kings Trail, a legendary long-distance trail well regarded by trekkers the world over.
The first ever Fjällräven Classic in 2005 was finished by 152 people. Nowadays the finishers number in the thousands and it’s held in locations all over the world. From its humble beginnings to its current status as one of the world’s great outdoor events, the concept behind the Fjällräven Classic has remained the same. The event isn’t a race or competition and it isn’t just for hardcore, grizzled mountain men - It’s a chance for outdoor enthusiasts of all ages and abilities to get out there with other like-minded folks and enjoy the trek of a lifetime.
Why are we, a UK based company, getting so excited about the Fjällräven Classic if it’s only ever held overseas? Because this year for the first time ever the Fjällräven Classic is coming to the UK!
Fjällräven Classic UK
An idea which has been in the making for years has finally come to fruition with 2022 being the first year of the Fjällräven Classic UK! Bringing the Fjällräven spirit deep into Scotland’s atmospheric Cairgorms the event will feature a 60km hike through remote landscapes with wild camping and some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. The Classic UK was introduced to show that you don’t need to travel far and wide to find nature and in fact some of the best trekking in the world can be found right here on our doorstep. Taking in moors, mountains and rivers this three-day expedition will give you a chance to reconnect with nature and even make some friends along the way.
In Mid September the Fjällräven classic will begin from the Mar Lodge estate before embarking on a 60km journey of spectacular scenery with beauty that seems to roll and roll into the horizon. The route planned by the team at Fjällräven is one of contrasts, moving from manicured parklands through woodlands and into valleys surrounded by some of the most iconic Scottish mountains.
As part of Scotland’s right of common access, the Fjällräven Classic UK offers participants the opportunity to wild camp amongst nature and enjoy the outdoors as a playground. In line with the Fjällräven ethos there will be a huge focus on leaving the land not only as it was found but in an even better condition. The event is designed to be as environmentally aware as possible and should prevent pollution, promote sustainable development and preserve and protect the outdoors for future generations.
When you reach the finish line back at Mar Lodge each participant will receive a Fjällräven Classic UK medal in the specially erected Fjällräven Tipi. With a chance to wind down from the past three days the Tipi will also offer the chance to enjoy a cold celebratory drink, some local food and you can even get involved in a traditional Ceilidh until midnight. All in all, the perfect way to end one of the most exciting treks in the world.
What to take to the Fjällräven Classic
With the unpredictable Scottish weather at play it is essential for the three day trek that you’ve packed the right kit to get the most out of the experience. To make the packing process a little easier we’ve dissected the equipment requirements from Fjällräven and highlighted what you could pick up from Nordic Outdoor if you are looking for the most sustainable and functional choice.
- Tent – For this event you’ll want to take a tent that is light enough to carry in your pack but strong enough should the weather turn on you. A Hilleberg Soulo would be the perfect choice for the solo trekker and those looking for a little more space could look into the Allak 2 or Allak 3.
- Stove with a deep pan – The Primus Micron Stove is a small and lightweight option which will screw straight on to your gas canister making the whole process simple. For the cooking pan we would suggest looking to Snow Peak. The Japanese brand use lightweight titanium in the construction of their cooking sets which is hard wearing without adding too many grams to your pack weight, our suggestion would be the Trek 1400 from Snow Peak.
- Hat/beanie – If you're looking to keep your brand synergy alive then you're in the right place. For Spring Summer 22 Fjällräven have released their biggest offering of headwear at Nordic Outdoor to date. From the Marlin Mosquito Hat to the Ovik Pom Beanie we've got a host of styles available online now.
- Gloves – When looking for the perfect gloves you should look no further than Hestra. With over 100 years experience in crafting the best gloves for any outdoors pursuit you can rest assured you will be in safe hands. For the classic you will want an all rounder glove such as the Army Leather Abisko or the CZone pickup.
- Thermal fleece/mid-layer top in down, wool or a synthetic material – Here at Nordic Outdoor we don’t believe in synthetic materials for hiking and think you should always look to Merino Wool for your choice in base layers. The perfect choice for the Fjällräven classic would be the Aclima Warmwool Hooded Sweater with an integrated balaclava which is available in both Men’s and Women’s.
- Long underpants for a dry change – Aclima Long’s will be the perfect choice for this trek offering comfort, warmth and breathability. The best selection would be a pair of Men’s or Women’s Hiking Longs which offer excellent breathability thanks to their WoolNet construction making them ideal for long periods of high activity.
- Wind and waterproof pants – If you are looking for a lightweight pair of waterproof and windproof trousers you can just slip on should the weather turns then a great choice is the Didriksons Grand Pants.
- Wind and waterproof jacket with hood – While we don’t always say a Waterproof jacket is essential for hiking this is one of the requirements for participation in the Fjallraven Classic. If you are looking for a lightweight choice then the Fjallraven High Coast Hydratic (available in both mens and womens) is a low cost choice which will stand up to the elements in some style.
- Insect repellent – As regular hikers in Scotland we know there is only one choice when it comes to Insect Repellent. Smidge is developed and tested in Scotland against even the most annoying of Midges so should be the first thing in your pack if you ever venture up North.
- Sun hat/cap – Block the sun from your eyes with the iconic Fjallraven Helags cap which is constructed from the extremely durable and fast drying G-1000 fabric. With ventilation holes for increased breathability you can pick your colour for the perfect
- Hiking socks, preferably in wool – For a little warmth and luxury we would point you in the direction of the Vicuna Alpaca Hiker Socks. As the Alpaca’s live in parts of the world where temperatures can range from +30 to -20 degrees in a single day their wool is the ultimate in natural fibre offering both warmth and breathability.
- Underwear in wool or in a synthetic material – Again for breathability and warmth (along with odour resistance!) we suggest purchasing Merino Wool underwear. We have a great choice from Norwegian Merino specialists Aclima including the Warmwool Boxer Shorts in both Men’s and Women’s and the Aclima Women’s Sports top.
- Hiking trousers, a pair that can be unzipped to become shorts are ideal – it does get warm up there sometimes – Fjallraven make some of the best hiking trousers on the market and the brands G-1000 fabric is the perfect choice for the Classic. The Abisko Lite Zip Off will give you the opportunity to convert the trousers into shorts when you start to heat up and the four way stretch fabric is ideal for long distance trekking – these are available in both men’s and women’s.
- T-shirt – When it comes to picking the perfect T-Shirt for the Classic you only really need to think about material. Whether you are after a merino wool T-Shirt from Aclima or an Organic Cotton number from Fjällräven then you can find the perfect choice at Nordic Outdoor.
- Water bottle, minimum 0.5lt – YETI are new to Nordic Outdoor for 2022 and the American brand create the most durable, hard wearing and long lasting Water bottles around. The brands Rambler 26oz Bottle will keep you going all day and the double wall insulation will keep your cold drinks cold or your hot drinks hot throughout the UK Classic.
Where can I buy tickets for the Classic UK
Details of ticketing for Fjallraven Classic UK are yet to be released but we would expect these to be snapped up as soon as they are available so keep your eyes peeled on Fjällrävens Social Media channels and website.
If you are interested in following more of the expeditions and initiatives offered by our brands then make sure to follow us on our Social Media channels. You can shop all of the latest Fjallraven clothing and equipment online now.
June 15, 2022Seven Hills of Edinburgh
June 10, 2022The Cunning Craftsman
May 25, 2022Ends of the Earth with Charlie Smith
May 09, 2022Didriksons Jackets Spring Summer 22
sustainability brands news style shopping guides our story scandinavia clothing fjallraven jackets function waterproof windproof hiking scandinavian trousers spring wax new brands adventure backpacks camping didriksons dress for autumn london merino wool outdoor lifestyle richmond skiing summer tentipi winter bushcraft cool layers light nordic outdoor learning store opening speing gear test tretorn ourdoor g1000 greenland wax synthetics down climbing mountaineering